ST. LOUIS, Mo., November 17, 2008 – Asgrow® today announced its inaugural lineup of six new Asgrow brand Roundup Ready 2 Yield™ soybean products for 2009, combining high-performing genetics with the latest trait technology to deliver consistently higher yields and profit potential to soybean farmers. Products now available include AG2839, AG2939, AG3139, AG3239, AG3439 and AG3539. (A brief description of each of these products is included at the end of this release.)
Roundup Ready 2 Yield technology is the second generation of Monsanto’s Roundup Ready® soybeans. The technology offers farmers the same flexible, dependable weed control and crop safety as original Roundup Ready soybeans, but with higher yield potential resulting from advanced gene mapping and insertion technology. It will be planted on more than 1.5 million acres in 2009. A full commercial launch on 5-6 million acres nationwide is planned in 2010.
“Asgrow Roundup Ready 2 Yield products will set the landscape for improved soybean production,” said Jeff Wheeler, Asgrow business lead. “After three years of field testing more than 10,000 different products, those being introduced for 2009 will provide farmers with higher yield potential based not only on the advanced trait technology, but also on high-performing Asgrow genetics.”
For 2009, Asgrow brand Roundup Ready 2 Yield soybeans will be available, mainly in late Group 2 to mid Group 3 varieties, throughout Iowa, Nebraska, Ohio and Pennsylvania, as well as most of Illinois and Indiana and portions of northern Missouri, Kansas, Maryland and Michigan.
Other innovations now available from Asgrow include:
Innovations in Seed Treatment
Asgrow is committed to delivering novel products and technologies that enhance farmers’ yield potential and profitability. A new proprietary seed treatment, Acceleron™, designed specifically for Roundup Ready 2 Yield soybeans, delivers more value by providing early-season protection against diseases such as pythium, phytophthora, rhizoctonia and fusarium. By providing better plant health, this innovative seed treatment maximizes the performance potential of Asgrow brand Roundup Ready 2 Yield soybeans. All Roundup Ready 2 Yield varieties in 2009 will come with Acceleron seed treatment.
Innovations in Packaging
The Asgrow brand AccuSure™ Seed Count System for Roundup Ready 2 Yield soybeans offers an equitable value for all farmers by eliminating the variability of seed size. Each bag of Asgrow brand Roundup Ready 2 Yield seed, regardless of variety, will provide the same number soybean seed. Farmers can expect a consistent 140,000 seed in every bag. Mini-bulk units will contain the equivalent of 40 bags or a consistent 5.6 million seed. The physical size of the bag may vary but the seed count will remain consistent, just like corn or cotton products. The increased precision in seed count will give farmers the ability to move seamlessly from seed purchases to field planting calculations.
Introducing the Asgrow Roundup Ready 2 Yield Challenge
To generate enthusiasm for the launch of this new Roundup Ready 2 Yield technology, Asgrow is inviting farmers who plant it to participate in the first-ever Asgrow Roundup Ready 2 Yield Challenge. Farmers across the country will compete for the highest-yielding Asgrow brand Roundup Ready 2 Yield field. One lucky grand-prize winner will win an Asgrow Roundup Ready 2 Yield fishing boat. Farmers who book any variety of Asgrow brand Roundup Ready 2 Yield soybeans before February 1, 2009, will receive a free welcome kit with agronomic tips and enrollment information.
Consistency Meets Innovation in Asgrow Brand Roundup Ready 2 Yield Soybean Products.
Asgrow uses a unique naming system which allows farmers to identify the relative maturity and generation of each product at a glance. AG designates each product as Asgrow. For Asgrow brand Roundup Ready 2 Yield products, the first and second digit identify its relative maturity, and the third digit is “3,” indicating it is the third generation of herbicide tolerance. The fourth digit is an identifier unique to the product.
Below is a brief description of the Asgrow brand Roundup Ready 2 Yield products available for 2009. For more information on these or for a complete list of Asgrow products, visit Asgrow.com and request a 2009 Seed Resource Guide.
AG2839 Brand Late Group 2 Maturity
• Attractive, medium bush plant with good lateral branching that closes the row well
• Consistent, high-yield potential on medium to heavy soils that responds well to high management practices
• Provides strong agronomics such as emergence, Phytophthora gene protection, soybean cyst nematode resistance and standability
• Position from South Dakota across Iowa to NE Ohio
AG2939 Brand Late Group 2 Maturity
• Valuable combination of yield and defensive characteristics packaged into one product
• Contains Rps1k gene for Phytophthora resistance and moderate resistance to race 3 soybean cyst nematode
• Strong performance demonstrated across the Corn Belt in 2007 and 2008
AG3139 Brand Early Group 3 Maturity
• Offers excellent agronomics and defensive package for the central and western Corn Belt
• Protection against Phytophthora with the Rps1c gene and good field tolerance
• Moderate resistance to race 3 soybean cyst nematode and above average tolerance to sudden death syndrome
AG3239 Brand Early Group 3 Maturity
• Highly versatile product in a medium tall, gray plant type with broad adaptation across the group 3 maturity zone
• High yield potential responds well to intensive management
• Protection against Phytophthora with the Rps1c gene and good field tolerance
• Moderate resistance to race 3 soybean cyst nematode, brown stem rot, and above average tolerance to sudden death syndrome
AG3439 Brand Mid Group 3 Maturity
• Consistent, high yield performance across a range of environments in 2007 and 2008
• Rps1c Phytophthora gene resistance with very good field tolerance and moderate resistance to race 3 soybean cyst nematode
• Works well in different tillage systems and row spacings
• Strong agronomic package for soil types across the central and eastern Corn Belt
AG3539 Brand Mid Group 3 Maturity
• Attractive medium tall, gray plant with a medium plant canopy that harvests with ease
• Strong Phytophthora package including the Rps1k gene and field tolerance to protect against yield-robbing disease
• Moderate resistance to soybean cyst nematode
• Well adapted to high management soybean cropping systems with the emergence and standability needed for top-end yields.
Monsanto Company is a leading global provider of technology-based solutions and agricultural products that improve farm productivity and food quality. Monsanto remains focused on enabling both smallholder and large-scale farmers to produce more from their land while conserving more of our world's natural resources such as water and energy. To learn more about our business and our commitments, please visit: http://www.monsanto.com.
Editor’s Note: An electronic version of this news release, as well as photos of Asgrow brand Roundup Ready 2 Yield production farmer fields, is available for
viewing and downloading at: http://www.asgrowanddekalb.com/web/products/soybean/RR2Y/presskit Individual results may vary, and performance may vary from location to location and from year to year. This result may not be an indicator of results you may obtain as local growing, soil and weather conditions may vary. Growers should evaluate data from multiple locations and years whenever possible.
ALWAYS READ AND FOLLOW PESTICIDE LABEL DIRECTIONS. Roundup Ready® crops contain genes that confer tolerance to glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup® agricultural herbicides. Roundup® agricultural herbicides will kill crops that are not tolerant to glyphosate. When Roundup Ready 2 Yield soybeans are made available for commercial release and use, they will be subject to Monsanto Company's comprehensive stewardship plans consistent with its Stewardship Policy for Commercialization of Biotechnology-Derived Plant Products in Commodity Crops. Roundup Ready 2 Yield soybean seed and any product of a Roundup Ready 2 Yield soybean seed or crop can only be exported to, or used, processed or sold in countries where all necessary regulatory approvals have been granted. It is a violation of national and international law to move material containing biotech traits across boundaries into nations where import is not permitted. Asgrow®, Roundup®, Roundup Ready®, Roundup Ready 2 Yield™, Acceleron™ and AccuSure™ are trademarks of Monsanto Technology LLC. ©2008 Monsanto Company.