How do you prefer to read information that improves your profitability?
- Mostly online: 49%
- Mostly in print: 47%
- On my smartphone: 3%
How do you expect your corn yields this year to compare to last year’s?
- The Same: 19%
- Higher: 42%
- Worse: 37%
What do you do to limit compaction on your farm?
- Limit traffic to restricted tracks: 22%
- Nothing, I don’t have a problem: 20%
- Vertical tillage/ripping: 56%
How much do you think your corn yields would improve if you adopted a controlled traffic (tramlines) system which limited all of your implement traffic to the same tracks?
- 5%: 51%
- 10%: 24%
- 15%: 12%
- 20%: 10%
What do you expect to spend in this crop year for machinery costs, depreciation, repair and fuel, for corn following beans?
- $50-75/acre: 42%
- $75-100/acre: 25%
- $100-115/acre: 16%
- Above $115/acre: 15%
What percent of corn residue do you leave on the soil surface before planting the following year’s crop?
- 30% or less: 11%
- 30-50%: 35%
- Over 50% left: 52%
Phosphorus fixation is a problem in most soils. What do you do to overcome phosphate fixation in your soils?
- Nothing: 30%
- Apply more phosphorus than soil test recommends: 0%
- Apply as starter at planting: 50%
- Use phosphorus enhancer product: 19%
What does sustainability mean for you on your farm?
- Farming so as to preserve soil, clean water and air while making a profit.: 60%
- Heck if I know.: 0%
- Something cooked up by left-coast crazies who don’t understand my business.: 39%
When do you buy your seed?
- August-September: 7%
- September-October: 34%
- November-December: 46%
- After December: 12%
How many days did it take you to plant this year’s corn crop?
- * Three days: 21%
- * Four days: 8%
- * Five days : 14%
- * More than five days: 56%
How many glyphosate-resistant weeds do you routinely encounter on your farm?
- *None: 47%
- *1-2: 25%
- *3-4 : 11%
- *More than 4: 2%
- *Don’t know: 13%
South America is currently our largest competitor in exporting soybeans globally. Do you think their market share in world bean markets will grow or diminish in the next five years?
- Grow: 55%
- Shrink: 34%
- Not Sure: 10%
What mix of corn/beans will you plant this spring?
- An Even corn/bean rotation: 57%
- More corn than usual: 28%
- More beans than usual: 13%
Do you still have unharvested corn in your fields?
- Yes: 22%
- No Thank Goodness: 77%
How do you manage nitrogen fertilizer applications to overcome potential losses from volatilization and/or leaching?
- Nothing: 12%
- Apply more nitrogen than soil test recommend : 1%
- Split applications: 49 %
- Use nitrogen enhancer product: 36%
What is your corn seeding rate? 26,000 seeds/acre or less: 6%
- 26,0001 to 28,000 seeds/acre: 7%
- 28,001 to 30,000 seeds/acre: 15%
- 30,001 to 32,000 seeds/acre: 22%
- 32,001 to 34,000 seeds/acre: 30%
- 34,001 to 36,000 seeds/acre: 13%
- >36,000 seeds/acre: 4%
Do you use pre-emergence herbicides?
- No: 20%
- Yes - Pre-emergence only without post-emergence herbicide applications: 8%
- Yes - Pre-emergence followed by post-emergence herbicide applications: 70%
What is your largest yield limiting variable on your farm?
- My soils: 24%
- My agronomic practices: 3%
- Rainfall: 61%
- Terrain: 3%
- Manpower: 3%
- Other: 3%
What is your typical soybean seeding rate?
- 140,000 seeds/acre: 22%
- 150,000 seeds/acre: 36%
- 160,000 seeds/acre: 17%
- 170,000 seeds/acre: 24%
How would you rank your projected net farm income for this most recent crop year, compared to the past 10 years on your farm?
- My net farm income this year will probably fall in the top 25% of the past 10 years I’ve farmed.: 50%
- In the top 50% of the past 10 years I’ve farmed: 31%
- In the bottom half: 9%
- In the bottom 25%: 9%
Who has been your favorite Secretary of Agriculture?
- Robert Bergland: 4%
- Earl Butz: 27%
- John Block: 7%
- Clayton Yeutter: 4%
- Dan Glickman: 12%
- Ann Veneman: 0%
- Mike Johanns: 41%
- Other: 0%
What has been the best farm invention in your lifetime?
- Glyphosate-resistant crops: 60%
- Management information systems: 13%
- Precision-ag technology: 13%
- Larger, smarter tractors: 7%
- Larger, smarter combines: 5%
What would provide you the biggest efficiency/profitability gains?
- Newer or bigger equipment: 27%
- More management know-how: 22%
- Better info technology and the knowledge to use it: 22%
- Additional labor: 0%
- Machinery sharing with other partners: 27%
Do you rotate your soybean varieties based on type of resistance in order to fight SCN?
- I don’t know which type of resistance my varieties use.: 26%
- Yes, SCN is a real problem for me.: 40%
- No, SCN is not much of a problem where I farm.: 33%
How likely is it that you’ll harvest 100-bu. soybeans?
- In the next 5 years: 30%
- In the next 10 years: 35%
- Not likely: 33%
What is the primary reason that you have not enrolled in a voluntary carbon sequestration program that pays you for no-till practices?
- I have enough other things to do.: 23%
- Payments for doing so should be higher.: 41%
- My operation is not suited to no-till.: 34%
Where do your best ideas come from to improve farm profitability?
- Neighbors and friends: 20%
- Farm magazines and Web sites: 24%
- Extension: 10%
- Other Web sites: 3%
- Meetings/field days: 37%
- Other: 3%
What would it take for you to use strip-till on your farm?
- I already do: 25%
- Money to buy related equipment: 32%
- More evidence that it will work on my farm.: 42%
Do you expect to be profitable this year on corn and soybeans?
- Yes: 52%
- No: 47%
Are you planning to sign up for the new ACRE program?
- Yes: 12%
- No: 64%
- Maybe: 23%
What will you pay for cash rent on good corn ground this growing season?
- Below $160/acre: 43%
- $160-190: 17%
- $190-220: 18%
- $220-260: 10%
- $260-300: 3%
- $300-350: 3%
- Over $350: 2%
Where do you turn most often for new ideas on your farm?
- My farm partners/family: 12%
- Extension: 32%
- Farm magazines: 28%
- Farm magazine Web sites: 8%
- Online farm discussion forums: 0%
- My neighbors: 20%
What is the latest you've ever planted corn?
- Second half of May: 16%
- June 1-15: 37%
- June 15-20: 14%
- June 20-25: 6%
- June 25-30: 25%
What is your main limiting resource?
- Time 46%
- Operating capital 41%
- Know-how on using new technologies 11%
What is your machinery+labor cost/acre? (This survey is anonymous.)
- Above $110/acre: 14%
- $95-110/acre: 12%
- $75-95/acre: 24%
- $60-$75/acre: 25%
- Below $60/acre: 23%
What is your biggest concern as you enter the 2009 planting season?
- Nitrogen prices: 28%
- Spring and summer weather: 42%
- Land/rent prices: 19%
- Credit: 8%
What is your strategy for spring 2009 fertilizer purchases?
- Already locked in most purchases for spring : 17%
- Waiting for fertilizer prices to come down to purchase most spring needs : 46%
- Will purchase fertilizer in increments over the next few months until spring : 14%
- Waiting for crop prices to come up to decide what to do : 16%
- Other: 5%
Who do you think will be the next U.S. Secretary of Agriculture?
- Tom Buis, National Farmers Union president: 3%
- Rep. Stephanie Herseth (D-SD): 37%
- Rep. Collin Peterson (D-MN): 3%
- Sen. Ken Salazar (D-CO): 3%
- Former Rep. Charles Stenholm (D-TX): 4%
- Former IA Gov. Tom Vilsack (D): 47%
What factor will most affect your acreage allocation this spring?
- nitrogen prices: 14%
- crop prices: 25%
- seed availability: 0%
- I will stick with my conventional corn-bean rotation: 59%
With the presidential election just days away, who do you plan to vote for?
- John McCain: 49%
- Barack Obama: 50%