CSD columnist Ed Usset, University of Minnesota, spoke to farmers at Commodity Classic on March 2. His topic: post-harvest marketing. Usset used fictional characters to show different marketing styles and farming types. He also went over carrying charges and what those mean for different marketing styles.
Usset also reveiwed the results from those characters and offered sample marketing plans, ending his hour-long session talking about sizing up the market.
1. What is the post-harvest challenge?
2. A different approach to marketing
6. The only constant is change
7. Seasonal patterns in national average corn price
8. The only constant is change
12. Selling the carry: HTA or futures?
15. Seasonal patterns in national average corn price
16. Seasonal patterns in national average soybean price
19. Carrying charges and selling the carry
21. How does Sally "sell the carry?"
23. How does Sally "sell the carry?"
29. What is a large carry?
30. What is a large carry?
34. Corn carrying charges at harvest
35. Soybean carrying charges at harvest
36. General conclusions about carrying charges
39. Seasonal patterns in the national average corn price
40. Seasonal patterns in the national average soybean price
42. Post-harvest challenge results